In this article, we will do a Simplilearn PMP Review. The aim is that you understand the pros and cons of the PMP program and decide if it’s best suited for you. Also, before we start, be sure that you sign up for the free PMP course from ExamsPM.
The PMP (Project Management Professional) certification by PMI is one of the most prestigious certifications a project manager can get throughout their career. However, passing the PMP exam isn’t that easy, especially if you don’t have much experience in the field.
If you want to pass the PMP exam from the first attempt, you need to invest significant time and effort preparing for it. The Simplilearn PMP course might help you with that. Keep reading to find out all there is to know about the course in our Simplilearn PMP review –– then you get to decide whether it’s worth it or not.
About the Simplilearn Company
Simplilearn is accredited by numerous accreditation bodies worldwide, including PMI, Axelos, and Scrum Alliance. They only provide training for accredited courses, making them a well-trusted resource for students.
The platform isn’t only limited to certification courses; it also offers postgraduate and master programs from some of the best schools in the United States, including Caltech and MIT. Unlike other project management REPs, the Simplilearn platform doesn’t focus on a particular subject, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you see it.
ExamsPM vs. Simplilearn
ExamsPM helps you get your PMP certified on your first try within 6 weeks, and also supports you with 60 PDUs after you get certified.
- ExamsPM have 2 regular live instructor-led trainings calls per week, in addition to the self paced course
- ExamsPM offer lifetime packages so you don’t have to worry about course expiring
- ExamsPM offer full service, so you can get an application review prior to completing the exam as well as the credits you need to maintain your certification for three years after the exam
- ExamsPM offer a free PMP training course that lays out the exact road map that you need to follow in order to get PMP certified within 6 weeks
|Access Length||Lifetime||90 days|
|60 PDUs||Yes. 60 PDUs are included in the tuition.||No|
|Support||Yes – Email, Facebook Forum & Instructor Access||Yes|
|Course Format||Self-directed learning, live instructor-led training||9 Sessions Live online training|
|Money Back Guarantee||Yes||Yes|
Who Should Take This Course?
The target audience of this course is PMP candidates who are going to take the exam soon. However, it’s still an excellent course for anyone interested in learning about the core principles of project management. It can also be very useful for managers who want to improve their skills.
Enrolling in the Simplilearn PMP course is pretty simple and takes no more than a few minutes.
All you have to do is visit their website and choose “PMP Certification” under the section “Certification Courses.” You’ll then be prompted to select between Self-Paced and Online Bootcamp (more on that later). Click “Enroll,” and you’ll be directed to a checkout page where you’ll be asked to enter your card details.
Once you complete the purchase, you’ll be granted immediate access to the course materials if you opted for the Self-Paced course. If you chose to enroll in the Online Bootcamp, you’d have to wait until it starts according to the predefined dates.
Simplilearn PMP Course Overview
The course’s instructors are Tim Jerome and Jeff Allen.
Jerome has over 15 years of experience in project management, having led multiple projects at some of the world’s biggest companies, including Intel and Digital Networks Services. Allen equally has 15 years of experience at some mega names like HP and Compaq. He has taught over 5000 professionals in project management and Agile practices.
Here’s a quick overview of everything that’s included in the course:
- Full coverage of PMI’s PMBOK Guide 6th Edition
- 8 industry case studies
- 20 industry-based scenarios
- PMP orientation videos
- 7 simulation tests
- 6 hands-on projects
- Downloadable slideshows
By completing the course, you receive 35 contact hours, fulfilling the PMP requirement. As you can see, the course’s content is pretty diversified. It strays away from the conventional online courses that bug you with hundreds of video lectures teaching the course in a mostly theoretical way without helping you understand how it relates to the real world.
This is one of the course’s strongest points, considering that most of the PMP exam questions are situation-based. There’s little to memorize here; you just need to know how to select the right course of action in each real-world scenario.
Just like other PMP training material, the Simplilearn PMP course is based on the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) Guide by PMI, the official book the exam is based on.
The course gives you complete coverage of everything you need to know about project management’s ten knowledge areas. The course curriculum is as follows:
- Lesson 00 – Introduction to the Course
- Lesson 01 – Introduction to PMP Certification
- Lesson 02 – Professional and Social Responsibility
- Lesson 03 – Project Management Framework
- Lesson 04 – Project Management Processes
- Lesson 05 – Role of the Project Manager
- Lesson 06 – Project Integration Management
- Lesson 07 – Project Scope Management
- Lesson 08 – Project Schedule Management
- Lesson 09 – Project Cost Management
- Lesson 10 – Project Quality Management
- Lesson 11 – Project Resource Management
- Lesson 12 – Project Communications Management
- Lesson 13 – Project Risk Management
- Lesson 14 – Project Procurement Management
- Lesson 15 – Project Stakeholder Management
- Lesson 16 – Appendix PMP List of Knowledge and Skills
The course is divided into segments, and each segment is dedicated to one of the 10 knowledge areas of project management, in addition to 3 introductory segments and an appendix.
Enrolling in the Simplilearn PMP course doesn’t need any special prerequisites other than the ones set by PMI for the certification itself. Nevertheless, if you want your learning experience to be as smooth as possible, you need:
- A computer with a fast internet connection
- English proficiency
- Basic knowledge of project management (preferred)
Moreover, if you’re planning to take the PMP exam, you must also have 4,500 hours in leading and directing projects for degree holders. Those who only have a secondary degree must have 7,500 hours of experience in the field.
Pricing & Contact Hours
The Simplilearn PMP course is available in two variations: Self-Paced Learning and Online Boot Camp. The Online Boot Camp costs a whopping price of $999, while the Self-Paced course costs only $400. The main difference between the two learning approaches is that the Online Boot Camp gives you the opportunity to engage with the instructors and students in live video lectures. You also get 90 days of flexible access to the online classes.
On the other hand, the self-paced course is 100% self-paced, which means that all the lectures are recorded. Whether you choose to opt for the Self-Paced or Online Bootcamp course, you’ll still acquire the required 35 contact hours to be eligible for the PMP exam. The website also offers 25% discount coupons at some times of the year.
- Can be accessed using mobile iOS and Android apps
- The course material is based on the PMI PMBOK Guide
- Includes several mock exams that test your knowledge and help you identify your weak points
- Option to attend online classes at additional fees
- Easy enrollment process
- The instructors are able to explain everything in a simplified way
- Includes evenly distributed learning games and quizzes throughout the course
- Somewhat expensive, especially the Online Boot Camp course
- The videos are rather short
- Poor customer support
- Doesn’t tell you much about the exam’s details